Reading with your child.
When we are young, we all love to be read to. As we grow older, some of us fall out of the habit of reading regularly. If you are away from work or school, this could provide you with that time to fall back in love with reading.
Reading time is time for just you!
- Reading takes you on adventures, beyond the four walls of your home!
- Reading helps to build the imagination.
- Reading develops emotional intelligence and helps us to see other people’s points of view and ideas.
- Reading improves vocabulary….
- ….And the limits of our vocabulary are the limits of our world!
- Reading helps us to rest and relax.
- Reading takes our mind away from the outside world, which can sometimes be worrying and anxiety-provoking.
- Reading trains the brain to be able to concentrate and focus, a skill that can be lost in an increasingly digital world.
How to read together!
- Nothing beats sitting with your loved ones and sharing the reading experience.
- We all love being read to!
- Read in silly voices
- Read the parts of the characters
What to Read?
School Reading List This website contains recommendations by year group to select from. These are quality books and many are classics. https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks3-pupils/suggested-reading-list-for-year-7-pupils-ks2-age-11-12/
Project Gutenberg This website offers free ebooks of classic literature https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
Read Brightly This website recommends classics for teenagers that are accessible, relevant and enjoyable as well as providing some level of challenge for their reading. https://www.readbrightly.com/classics-for-teens/
Here at Barr Beacon School, our Year 7 pupils are about to enter the fast lane of reading as we launch the Accelerated Reader programme!
The programme is designed to encourage readers in the growth of their vocabulary range and the development of their language comprehension skills. All pupils will begin the programme with an initial review of their reading skills and this will provide a personalised starting point for their reading journey.
More details will follow but …reading is about to get serious and that means we are going to be doing lots of it!